Remember the inspiring story of Norman King who earned his degree at the University of the Philippines, Manila?
Last Saturday, “Maalala Mo Kaya” gave us one of the best throwbacks from 2017. It’s featuring the story of King about getting equal rights regardless of who or what you are.
On June 21, 2017, the Bachelor of Arts in Behavioral Science student made a history for becoming the first Aeta to graduate from the campus.
Aside from the celebration of the university’s 108th Commencement Exercises, it was memorable because King received his diploma wearing a loincloth. He proudly stepped foot at the at the Philippine International Convention Center in “bahag,” the traditional attire of his tribe.
To quote from The Summit Express – in his previous interview with Abs Cbn, King revealed why he decided to wear “bahag” instead of traditional “Barong Tagalog” during his graduation ceremonies.
“Nung umakyat ako ng stage, I’m doing this not simply because for show-off. No, it’s not. It’s a matter of representation ng mga Aeta,” King explained.
The scholar ng bayan revealed that he failed in Mathematics five times.
“Maraming adjustments, di ko kinakahiya na madalas ako bumagsak noon sa Math.”
He encouraged his fellow Aeta youth to prioritize education.Despite his competency, King has no plans working in other countries. The photography-lover wanted to devote his service for the good of the Aeta community.
“Magfofocus muna ako sa community ko. Aetas don’t do keep written records. From time comes sabi ko I could write that book.”
His achievement was dedicated to his grandparents and mother.
Martha E. | Pinoy Trends
Latest posts by Martha E. | Pinoy Trends (see all)
- A Manga Book About Dr. Jose Rizal Was Released in Commemoration of His 157th Birthday - June 24, 2018
- Have an Amazing-Grilled-Cheese Experience in Quezon City! - June 23, 2018
- Eyeglasses No More? This “Nanodrops” Will Solve Your Eye Problems - June 23, 2018
- Have You Seen Lolo Musician Playing Piano in Glorietta? Watch This! - June 23, 2018
- Enjoy Your All-Time Favorite from Max’s Group, Inc. with Discounts All Wednesdays of June - May 28, 2018